A Backsplashing Success
The kitchen backsplash has the ability to tie together all decorative elements in your space. It can either be played up as a focal point, or played down to lend focus to another showpiece (for example, a beautiful stone countertop).
The options for backsplash can be overwhelming. Glass, natural stone, metal and porcelain/ceramic are only some of the materials you can use in a variety of shapes, sizes and colours. However, there are ways to narrow down your search to make life a bit easier.
(1) Is your countertop busy? If so, try opting for a backsplash with less pattern. If you like the look of small, detailed mosaic, why not add an accent band to a backsplash of subway tile?
(2) Do you want to play up your kitchen cabinets, or would you rather not draw attention to them? Your backsplash colour choices have the power to either make your cabinets pop or make them recess to the background.
(3) How many electrical outlets are in the backsplash area? This can dictate, for example, which size of subway tile would work best to avoid small, awkward cuts.
(4) Does the counter have a roll-back or is it flush to the wall?
(5) How often do you change your backsplash? Our guess is not too often! Choose classic style over trends if your tastes change with time.
(6) Do you have windows in your kitchen? What about overhead fixtures? Lighting can drastically change how your backsplash appears in colour and lustre. We always recommend taking home a sample of the tile or mosaic you like to view in your own lighting prior to installation.
If you’re unsure of the right backsplash for your home, feel free to give us a call or stop by our showroom if you’re in the Halifax area.